EnBW begins construction of 609MW Hohe See and Albatros offshore wind farms in North Sea

German energy utility EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg (EnBW) has begun construction of the Hohe See and Albatros windfarms in the North Sea.

With 87 wind turbines, the windfarms will have a combined output capacity of 609MW, the project is said to be the largest offshore wind project in Germany.

Spanish wind turbine manufacturer Siemens Gamesa has been awarded the contract to supply and install 87 wind turbines of type SWT-7.0-154.

Siemens Gamesa will also be providing the foundations and the transformer platform for the Albatros windfarm.

VBMS is the contractual partner for the array cabling while a consortium comprising ENGIE Fabricom, Iemants and CG Holdings Belgium is responsible for the transformer platform for Hohe See.

Upon completion in 2019, the windfarm project will have the capacity to generate 2.5 billion kilowatt hours of electricity a year that will be enough to power nearly every private household in Munich.

EnBW portfolio development head Dirk Güsewell said: “EnBW Hohe See and Albatros are together the largest offshore project currently being constructed in Germany.

“We are thus strengthening our position as one of the leading offshore project developers and operators in Germany.”

During the peak construction period, the company will be hiring more than 500 employees to work at the construction site.

According to the project schedule, a transformer station and foundations will be installed at the Hohe See site, and the cables for the windfarm will be laid this year.

The German utility plans to erect wind turbines and build the transformer station at the Albatros windfarm by next year.

Canadian energy infrastructure company Enbridge is reported to have acquired a 49.9% stake in both windfarms, with EnBW retaining the remaining 50.1% in both cases.